The following document has been crafted to provide guidance to individuals and entities both in the planning stages of their campaigns and during their active presence on the GivingFridays platform.
2. SCOPE AND APPLICATION
Ensure that all marketing campaigns adhere to both the ICC Marketing Code and the Singapore Code of Advertising Practice. These guidelines apply to all parties involved in advertising and marketing, including marketers, advertising agencies, influencers, and publishers.
2.1. BASIC PRINCIPLES
• All marketing communication should be legal, decent, honest, and truthful (ICC Article 1).
• All advertising should be honest and not contain any misleading information (Singapore Section 3).
2.2. DECENCY AND HONESTY
• Marketing communications should not offend standards of decency currently prevailing in the country and culture concerned (ICC Article 2 and Singapore Section 4).
• Avoid content that is disrespectful or harmful to any group or individual (Singapore Section 4).
2.3. SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY
• Marketing communications should respect human dignity and not incite or condone any form of discrimination or anti-social behavior (ICC Article 4).
• Ensure that your advertising respects social and cultural values and avoids promoting anti-social behavior (Singapore Section 9).
2.4. TRUTHFULNESS AND SUBSTANTIATION
• Marketing communications should not mislead the consumer with respect to the product (ICC Article 5).
• Avoid exaggerations or false claims about products or services (Singapore Section 3).
2.5. IDENTIFICATION AND TRANSPARENCY
• Marketing communications should be clearly distinguishable (ICC Article 9).
• Clearly distinguish advertising from other content, such as editorial or news, and disclose any paid endorsements or sponsored content (Singapore Section 10).
2.6. MARKETER IDENTITY
• The identity of the marketer should be apparent (ICC Article 10).
2.7. FAIR COMPETITION
• Marketing communications should not denigrate or ridicule competitors or their products (ICC Article 12).
• If engaging in comparative advertising, ensure that the comparisons are fair, accurate, and not misleading, and do not unfairly criticize competitors or their products (Singapore Section 12).
2.8. CHILDREN AND TEENS
• Special care should be taken in marketing communications directed to or featuring children or teens (ICC Article 18).
• Be cautious when marketing to or featuring children, avoiding content that may harm their well-being or exploit their vulnerability (Singapore Section 11).
2.9. DATA PROTECTION AND PRIVACY
• When collecting personal data, care should be taken to respect and protect privacy by complying with relevant rules and regulations (ICC Article 19).
• Collect and use personal data in compliance with relevant data protection and privacy regulations (Singapore Section 6).
• Whatever the nature of the activity, medium, or technology, responsibility is shared by all parties concerned (ICC Article 23).
• All parties involved in the campaign share the responsibility to ensure compliance with both codes (ICC and Singapore).
• While the creator of the campaign is primarily responsible for ensuring compliance with both the ICC Marketing Code and the Singapore Code of Advertising Practice, it is essential to emphasize that in the event of a violation, the platform retains the authority to remove the content. The creator of the content must assume the bulk of the responsibility for any compliance issues.
3. EAST FRAMEWORK
To make campaigns compelling and engaging, you can integrate the EAST framework into your campaigns:
3.1. EASY (E)
• Simplicity: Keep your message straightforward and easy to understand. Avoid jargon or complex language.
• Clarity: Ensure that the main message is clear and easily noticeable in your campaign materials.
• Frictionless Interaction: Make it easy for the audience to take action.
3.2. ATTRACTIVE (A)
• Visual Appeal: Use visually striking images or videos that capture attention and resonate with your target audience.
• Emotional Connection: Craft content that evokes emotions and connects with the audience on a personal level.
• Storytelling: Tell a compelling story that draws the audience in and keeps them engaged throughout the campaign.
3.3. SOCIAL (S)
• Social Proof: Incorporate testimonials, reviews, or endorsements from satisfied customers to build trust and credibility.
• Peer Influence: Encourage social sharing and participation to create a sense of community and belonging among your audience.
• Influence of Networks: Leverage the power of social networks and communities to amplify the reach of your campaign.
3.4. TIMELY (T)
• Urgency: Create a sense of urgency to prompt immediate action. Limited-time offers or countdowns can be effective.
• Relevance: Ensure that your campaign aligns with current trends, events, or seasons to stay relevant to your audience.
• Timely Reminders: Send follow-up messages or reminders to keep your campaign in the audience’s mind.
By incorporating the EAST framework into your campaign creation, you can enhance the appeal and engagement of your campaigns while maintaining compliance with the ICC Advertising and Marketing Communications Code
Last updated: 07 Nov 2023